Monday, February 11, 2008

New Corn Mo!

At long last former Dentonite and NYC super hero Corn Mo has a TWO new releases coming out soon (an EP and LP) and from what I've heard they look spectacular. The first being an EP titled Your Favorite Hamburger is a Cheeseburger it contains five songs and a diary of a werewolf, which I believe is here. The second is an almost finished full length titled Diorama of the Golden Lion. More on that when it comes...

If you are new to the world of Corn Mo, he's a character thats a little difficult to describe, but one that you instantly fall for after your first performance. When I was in high school my older brother lived in Denton and preformed along side many great bands who I was introduced to through a series of mix tapes he made for me. One of these was the Mo. The first time I saw Corn Mo was in a record store where I was stunned by his spot on ability to perform glam rock songs only using an accordion and a occasionally a Casio keyboard. I handed John (his real name) a CD after the performance and in a few days I had booked the first Fishboy show ever on a thursday night at the liquid lounge in Deep Ellum. A few years later Corn Mo moved his act to NYC where he magically made appearances on TRL and Jimmy Kimmel Live and went on to book tours with They Might Be Giants, Ben Folds and The Polyphonic Spree. 

Since then he has found a bad ass band to perform his brand of too endearing to be ironic,  power house vocal glam pop with. They are known as the .375 lover  and the last time I saw time was last spring when they all flew down to Denton to perform a special show with Andrew W.K. where they opened up for and acted as his backing band.
Every time I see Corn Mo he gets better and better. If you are going to SXSW this year, you can see what I'm talking about. Check out his myspace page here. and then watch this video that always cheers me up after playing a crappy show somewhere and then having to go to work in the morning.


nothing can beat that right?

here he is on MTV!



but wait! Here is on Jimmy Kimmel singing "Busey Boy"





No comments: